Wednesday, November 21, 2007


MAKE MONEY WITHOUT A REGULAR JOB
BY L

This blog is something I planned on writing a book about. I grew up on a farm, so I was not used to working a regular 8 - 4 job. I guess that is one of the reasons I have avoided that all my life. I have worked at many different things to earn money over the years, some have worked out well, and some not because I just did not like them.

There are many ways to make a living or just extra money by not working a regular job. Most don’t require a large investment, some nothing but your time and gas. Even though some may sound easy, they all do require time. One other thing I have found out over time, is find something you enjoy. That may sound like an old suggestion, but if you do something you enjoy, it makes things easier and more fun, especially when you have a bad day and don’t make a lot of money. I have found out that if I do something just for money that I eventually quit. Now that’s just from my experience, you might be different.

Here goes with my ways to make money without a regular job and a large investment.

GARBAGE PICKING

I bet you’re thinking garbage picking, ew. Let me tell you there is a lot of money to be made from picking up free things off the curb, at a dump, or from a dumpster. The best thing is that everything is free. You can find anything, I mean anything that is sellable that someone has thrown out.

I used to take walks in my neighborhood when my kids were young, and always come back with something. Some of the items I have found include kids toys, a good crib with mattress, furniture, a fake tree, glassware, books, mirrors, pictures, TV’s, other electronics, and just about anything. You may need to clean or even fix something, but you can turn a free item into a money maker. I then take these items to the flea market that I sell at, or you can sell them at a yard sale at your house.

The first thing you need to do is find out the garbage pick up days for the neighborhood. You can either go the night before, or early on garbage day. Do your picking preferably during day light hours, you don’t want to get shot at in the middle of the night, not that I it’s ever happened to me. If you find something and you don’t want it or don’t think it will sell, pick it up, because as you will learn, anything sells, even broken stuff. I used to through things away that I thought were junk, and low and behold someone always ends up buying it.

Garbage picking is a pretty easy way to make money. You might get a little dirty, and you can use your car. If you find something big, get a friend. I like to pick in cities, one of my favorite cities is Chicago. I always find primo stuff to sell. I also have many friends that say the pickins are good in Florida. I do prefer to pick in a larger town or city. I live close to Lexington, KY. You have a variety of income levels, making the picking interesting. This gives you different neighborhoods to pick from. Any location can be a tresure trove, so it really doesn’t matter where you live.

Dumpster diving, is another thing I like to do. It’s not as easy as it used to be, but you can still get some good stuff. As long as the dumpster is not locked and posted, you can dive without getting into trouble. I have been approached by law enforcement officers while in a dumpster, and so far haven’t gotten into trouble. If you are worried about that maybe you shouldn’t do dumpster diving. It is a little dirtier than garbage picking because you are in a dumpster, and people do actually through some nasty shit in there that you might be in the middle of when you are in the dumpster. Also make sure you have a way out if you go in. It can also be a little more dangerous, that garbage picking because I have cut myself a couple of times on the legs and hands. To avoid the cuts on the hands I recommend gloves, and of course close toed shoes. One other thing that comes in handy when picking at night is a flashlight that you can attach to your head. This gives you both hands free to dig.

All I can say is happy picking, or digging. L

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi thanks a lot for your article! I learned a lot and am happy to see that people like you are doing this. There is not enough skipping and digging in my opinion. When I read the subtitle of your article I thought that you would talk about recycling. Do you do that as well? Maybe the income is not so great compared to yard selling but I think that on the long run there is much more potential. I want to work in that to be honest.

Alpha Mermaid Warrior said...

I too just stated trash picking. I clean up the items, keep what we want, and will sell them at a flea market or hold a yard sale. It's a good way to make profit. But don't use U Haul if you can help it. They're expensive. At the last flea market I was at this guy came up to my space and was like "The stuff I'm seeing here some looks familiar." Played it off "I don't know man." But some ppl make a living doing this. I'm working on it while also job searching.

Blogger said...

Just received a cheque for over $500.

Many times people don't believe me when I tell them about how much you can get taking paid surveys online...

So I took a video of myself getting paid $500 for paid surveys.